Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme 2020 Announced | Apply Now
Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme is a program under which 10,000 students from the North Eastern Region are granted scholarships under the Ministry of Human Resource Development and University Grant Commission.
The Ministry of HRD and the University Grants Commission had taken special interest with regard to promotion of higher education in the North East Region. For improving the Gross Enrollment Ratio (GER), promoting higher education and for encouraging children belonging to economically weaker section in the NE region, the UGC decided to launch “Ishan Uday” Special Scholarship Scheme for North Eastern Region from the academic session of 2014-15.
Under the Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme, a total of 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships are disbursed every year among North Eastern Region students who are pursuing General Degree Courses, Technical and Professional Courses, including Medical and Paramedical Courses.
Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020 Details
Name of Scholarship: Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020
Available to Courses: General degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and paramedical courses
Implemented By: University Grants Commission (UGC)
Benefits of Ishan Uday Scholarship:
Those students who are selected for the scholarship can avail ₹ 5,400 per month to pursue General course (untill the completion of the course).
If they get enrolled in the professional/ technical course, then they can avail ₹ 7,800 per month.
All financial benefits are transferred through the DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer) mode.
Available to students of States: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim, Tripura.
Eligibility Criteria for Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020
1. Students with Domicile of NER, who have passed Class XII or equivalent exam from a school situated within NER through any recognized Board of Education, including Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), National institute of open Schooling (NIOS) within NER only, and have secured admission in general degree course, technical and professional courses including medical and paramedical courses (Integrated courses included) in Universities/Colleges/Institutions recognized as under:
a) Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act.
b) Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC.
c) Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central / State Government.
d) Institutes of National Importance.
e) Institutions recognized by other Statutory councils within as well as outside
2. Only first year Under-graduate students are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
3. For integrated degree courses the scholarship will be tenable for the complete duration of the course. For dual degree courses the scholarship shall be tenable for the first degree only. The university shall clarify it while recommending a candidate for scholarship.
4. For availing scholarship under this scheme, the income of the parents of the student should not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
5. Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per Government of India norms.
Exclusions: The following shall not be eligible under this scheme -
1) Students pursuing courses/programs through Open Universities.
2) Students already availing scholarship for pursuing the Undergraduate programme under any other scheme(s).
3) Students gaining admission through ‘management quota’.
4) Students pursuing courses, such as Diploma Courses, not leading to award of a Degree.
5) Students whose parents’ income exceeds Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
Ishan Uday Scholarship Amount
General Courses: ₹ 5,400 per month
Technical/Professional Courses (including Medical & Paramedical Courses): ₹ 7,800 per month
Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme 2020 Selection Process
- 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
- Distribution of slots amongst the states of NER will be done on the basis of population census(last).
- If slots in a particular state remain vacant due to non-availability of eligible candidates, the unfilled slots will be distributed equitably amongst other states.
- Reservation for Persons with Disability (PwD) will be made as per Government of India norms.
Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme Application Form
All eligible students may apply online through National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government of India (https://scholarships.gov.in).
The following documents will be uploaded at the time of applying under the scheme on the NeSP.
1. Domicile Certificate to be issued by the competent authority.
2. Proof of Annual Income of Parents to be issued by the competent authority.
3. For renewals, the Annual Progress Report and continuation of studies will be required to be uploaded/ verified by the concerned University/ Institution/ College.
Last Date of receipt of online application is 31st October 2020 (which will probably be extended considering Covid19 situation and completion of admissions under all recognised Universities).
FAQs on Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
1) Is the scheme open for all candidates enrolled in Indian Universities/ Colleges/ Institutes?
- No. Only those candidates who have domicile of the North-Eastern states of India are covered under the schemes i.e., Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura.
2) Who is eligible to apply for the scholarship?
- Only those 1st year students whose annual family income is not equal or more than Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum are covered under ambit of the scheme.
3) Do we need to upload Domicile Certificate alongwith the online application form?
- Yes, the Domicile certificate or Permanent Resident Certificate (PRC) issued by the competent authority will have to be uploaded with the online application form.
4) Are only first year undergraduate students eligible to apply? I am a 3rd Semester student, can I apply?
- Yes, only those students who have passed Class XII(CBSE board) or equivalent Examination of State Boards of NER and have taken admission in a UGC recognised University or College for the academic session 2020-21 are eligible to apply.
Any student, who is already enrolled in the University/College and not in the 1st year, is not eligible.
5) Are students enrolled in Diploma courses or those who have cleared Class XII exam or equivalent in the preceding years eligible to apply?
- No. Only those students who have qualified class XII exam or equivalent exam during the current academic year are eligible to apply. The Scheme does not apply for Diploma Courses.
6) Are students enrolled in integrated courses of eligible institutions eligible to apply?
- Yes. Students enrolled in integrated courses are eligible to apply. The awardee will however draw scholarship only for the undergraduate part of the course.
7) Are students enrolled in dual degree courses eligible to apply?
- Yes. However, the awardee will be eligible to draw scholarship only till the tenure of the first degree programme.
8) Are all courses covered under the ambit of the scheme?
- Yes. The scholarship will be awarded in general degree courses, professional courses, technical courses, medical and paramedical courses (including MBBS, BAMS, BDS, B.Arch, BTech etc.)
9) Is there a difference in the amount of scholarship payable to the awardees? How will payments be regulated?
- Yes. There are two amounts of scholarship payable to the awardees - Rs.5400/- per month for General Degree courses, i.e., B.A., B.Sc., B.Com., B.M.S., B.B.A. etc., and Rs.7800/- per month for Technical and Professional Courses including Medical, Paramedical Courses etc.
The amount of scholarship payable will be determined according to the verification provided by the institution at the time of applying.
10) Will the scholarship transferred in case the awardee changes the institution or course during the tenure of scholarship?
- No. There is no provision for transfer of scholarship.
Important Dates and Links:
Last Date of Online Application - 31st October, 2020
Online Application Link - Click Here
Official Ishan Uday | UGC Website - Click Here
National Scholarships Portal - Click Here